Xbox Live Arcade Sees Incredible Growth in 2012, Thanks to Minecraft and More Releases
Although Minecraft can easily claim all accolades for its 2012 performance, other titles still saw great success in the year. Trials Evolution secured a notable 2nd-place finish, selling just over 1 million units and an estimated $14.3 million USD. Adventure game series The Walking Dead sold (and gave away) an estimated 2.6 million units, or $10.3 million USD in revenues. From there, the top ten drops precipitously, with no other title coming close to the $10 million barrier.
Estimated Top Ten XBLA Titles in 2012, Ordered by Gross Revenues
- Minecraft (4J Studios) – 4,997,000 Units / $97,388,000
- Trials Evolution (RedLynx, LTD) – 1,002,000 Units / $14,298,000
- The Walking Dead (TellTale Games) – 2,615,000 Units / $10,277,000
- Counterstrike: GO (Valve) – 273,000 Units / $3,973,000
- Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) – 252,000 Units / $3,778,000
- Gotham City Impostors (Monolith Productions) – 258,000 / $3,698,000
- I Am Alive (Ubisoft) – 245,000 Units / $3,609,000
- Tony Hawk’s PS HD (Robomodo) – 226,000 Units / $3,261,000
- Alan Wake’s American Nightmare (Remedy Entertainment) – 206,000 Units / $2,903,000
- Trials HD (RedLynx, LTD) – 203,000 / $2,799,000
FADE is a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on electronic entertainment. With very little information currently available in these markets, FADE allows smaller developers to investigate these new potential sources of revenue and make informed business decisions moving forward. FADE produces reports for downloadable markets via consoles, PC, and mobiles, as well as downloadable content for retail titles for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.