Posted on : 26/07/2011
Steam nears $500 million in 1st Half Revenues of 2011 thanks to Portal 2, Indie Titles
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 25th, 2011. As per the Research & Analysis division of analyst firm Forecasting & Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC (FADE), Steam and its Steamworks-enabled titles have generated an estimated $468 million USD in revenues through June 2011.
Hotly-anticipated 'Portal 2' led the strong growth of Steam, selling an estimated 1.1 million copies between the service and Steamworks. Portal 2 was the #1 title of the year in both unit sales and revenues, with a notable $56 million USD of revenue. However, indie titles came into their own this year by way of two hugely popular titles - Paradox Interactive's 'Magicka' and Re-Logic's 'Terraria'. Both titles sold over 500,000 units during the tracking period, with Terraria having only seen two months of data since its debut in mid-May.
Revenues among all titles was estimated at $468 million USD, up from $329 million USD through the same time period in 2010 - a 42% increase year-over-year. Steamworks-enabled titles were very active during the half with titles such as 'Total War: Shogun 2', 'Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Retribution', and 'Brink', making the Top-10.
Steam Estimated Top 10 Titles, by Units Sold (1st Half, 2011)
- Portal 2 (Valve) - 1,128,000 Units Sold ($56.4 Million USD)
- Magicka (Paradox Interactive) - 789,000 Units Sold ($6.2 Million USD)
- Terraria (Re-Logic) - 580,000 Units Sold ($5.8 Million USD)
- Counter-Strike (Valve) - 399,000 Units Sold ($2.7 Million USD)
- Total War: Shogun 2 (SEGA) - 326,000 Units Sold ($15.1 Million USD)
- Monday Night Combat (Uber Entertainment) - 264,000 Units Sold ($2.9 Million USD)
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution (THQ) - 262,000 Units Sold ($6.5 Million USD)
- Brink (Bethesda Softworks) - 256,000 Units Sold ($13.5 Million USD)
- Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts) - 250,000 Units Sold ($4.2 Million USD)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) - 224,000 Units Sold ($13.0 Million USD)
About Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC
FADE is a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on electronic entertainment and the emerging download and mobile game markets. With very little information currently available in these markets, FADE allows smaller developers to investigate these new potential sources of revenue and make informed business decisions moving forward. Currently, FADE produces monthly and annual reports for Steam, Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, WiiWare & Virtual Console, downloadable content (DLC) for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, and mobile markets including iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry. For more information, please visit https://fadellc.com.