FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero Beats Sonic 4 in Best October Ever
November 22nd, 2010 - As per the Research & Analysis division of analyst firm Forecasting & Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC (FADE), Microsoft set a new record in October, realizing 91% growth from last October in terms of revenue. October saw revenues of $11.2 million USD, with the yearly totals breaking the $100 million mark.
Dead Rising Continues to Sell Well After Retail Release
Despite the release of the retail release the prequel was designed for, 'Dead Rising 2: Case Zero' led sales when ordered by units sold, garnering 104,000 units sold at 400 Microsoft Points during the month. The title is without question, the fastest selling XBLA title of the year, with over 600,000 units sold after three months on market. Close behind was Sega's 2D console revival 'Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1', which sold an estimated 98,000 units at 1200 Microsoft Points per unit. The 4th game in the series did well among all platforms, selling an estimated 260,000 units between its four major platforms, with XBLA leading the way.
Other major titles were released during the 'Game Feast' promotion, which launched the last week of September. Critically-acclaimed platformer 'Super Meat Boy' employed a unique sale, offering the 1200 point title for just 800 points for the first few weeks of release. Meat Boy sold an estimated 70,000 units at the 800 point price, making it the 3rd best-selling title of the month. Twisted Pixel Games' 3rd release on Xbox Live Arcade, 'Comic Jumper' sold a respectable 55,000 units at 1200 Microsoft points. Twisted Pixel Games has had a string of good fortune on XBLA, releasing 'Splosion Man' and 'The Maw' which also were met with success.
Revenues Nearly Double on Strong Game Lineup
"Traditionally, October has been the slowest month of the 2nd half of the year for Microsoft" said Benjamin Schlichter, Director of Research & Analysis at FADE. "However, through the 'Games Feast' promotion, and a strong title lineup, Microsoft saw the greatest year-on-year growth in October." With revenues nearly reaching 2009's yearly total, Microsoft looks to be in solid shape to realize double-digit growth for the entirety of the market. October is also the 2nd consecutive month of major growth, with September posting a 43% gain year-over-year. FADE anticipates November to continue the double-digit growth, and should see sales of between $11 million and $14 million USD.
Estimated Top 10 Titles for October 2010, by Units Sold:
- Dead Rising 2: Case Zero (Capcom) - 104,000 Units (400 Microsoft Points/$5.00 USD)
- Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (Sega) - 98,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Super Meat Boy (Team Meat) - 70,000 Units (800 Microsoft Points/$10.00 USD)
- Comic Jumper (Twisted Pixel Games) - 55,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Plants vs. Zombies (PopCap Games) - 45,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- LIMBO (Playdead) - 33,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Costume Quest (Double Fine Productions) - 31,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Castle Crashers (The Behemoth) - 28,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Trials HD (RedLynx) - 26,000 Units (1200 Microsoft Points/$15.00 USD)
- Dead Space Ignition (Sumo Digital) - 26,000 Units (400 Microsoft Points/$5.00 USD)
About Forecasting and Analyzing Digital Entertainment, LLC
FADE is a strategic market research and consulting firm focused on electronic entertainment and the emerging download and mobile game markets. With very little information currently available in these markets, FADE allows smaller developers to investigate these new potential sources of revenue and make informed business decisions moving forward. Currently, FADE produces monthly and annual reports for Steam, Xbox Live Arcade, Playstation Network, WiiWare & Virtual Console, and mobile markets including iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry. For more information, please visit https://fadellc.com.